My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://backforsecondsblog.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Welcome! Have you linked up to this weeks Back For Seconds Social? Come join the party here!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Zebra Tres Leches Cake and My First Link Party!

Pin It




It's party time, friends!! Welcome to my very first link party, I am thrilled to have you here! And what's a party without cake, am I right?
This is no ordinary cake. Sure it looks all sweet and innocent on the outside, but on the inside? Its a wild thing. Just wait.


Have you ever had a tres leches cake? Ohmygoodness they are delicious! To say it is moist is an understatement. I mean, it's a three milks cake after all.


One of the coolest things about this cake is you can totally change the flavor depending on the types of milk you use. Traditionally, I believe, cream, evaporated milk, and whole milk are used. While that is tasty, I like to switch things up a bit. I used vanilla cream, evaporated milk, and condensed milk. You know it's good if there's condensed milk inside! Next time I think I will use coconut milk too....Mmmmm.

And take a look at the wild surprise inside! Impress your friends - make this cake for your next party!


Zebra Tres Leches Cake
by: Back For Seconds

Cake

  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
Milks
  • 1 3/4 cup french vanilla cream
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
Topping
  • 1 tub cool whip (or make your own whipped cream)
  • 1 pint strawberries (if desired)
Preheat oven to 350*
In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add in vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating after each egg addition. Gradually add in the flour and baking powder until incorporated. If making the zebra design, separate batter in two and add food color of your choice. Grease a 9"springform pan. Drop 2 Tbs of one color in the center of the pan - do NOT spread it out. On top of that drop 2 Tbs of the other colored batter, again, don't spread it out. Continue this pattern until you have used all the batter. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool most of the way before adding the milks.
In a large bowl mix all of the milks together.  Set the cake (still in the pan) on a baking sheet or other dish with sides to catch any spills. Using a fork pierce the cake all over many times. Pour the milks over the cake slowly. It will seem like too much milk, but it will soak in. Set the cake in the refrigerator and allow it to soak up the milk for at least 8 hours.
Just before serving, top with whipped cream and strawberries if desired. The cake is so moist you really don't need to add anything else. I like the presentation though! Refrigerate any leftovers.

And now LET'S PARTY!!!!!
Since this is my first party, I would be over the moon thrilled if you would help me spread the word! A party isn't a party without all of you! Invite your friends - tweet, facebook, blog, instagram your besties and tell them the Back For Seconds Social is where it's at! You guys rock!




Here's the skinny:
  • Link up your recipes, DIY projects, helpful tips, etc...I want to see it all! (Please only link up your own material)
  • Check out some other links - this is a Social after all :) Have fun and come back next week to see if you were featured! 

Linked to Weekend Potluck and some of these fab parties
Pin It

37 comments:

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel said...

Yay! Congrats on your party, Stephanie! And that cake is beyond gorgeous.

DANIELLE said...

THANKS FOR THE INVITE-THRILLED TO BE HERE-GOING TO OOK AROUND NOW!! FROM THE LOOKS OF THIS CAKE U MADE...OMG-U ROCK TOO!!! XOXO

Winnie said...

Congratulations on your 1st linky party !:)
This Zebra tres leches cake is amazing.
I've never made such a cake and I'm definitely going to. I've already saved your recipe :)

I switched the names between no. 8 and 10 - I hope you can fix it.
Thanks and have a wonderful day

Cathy said...

wow! what a fabulous recipe to launch your link party...thanks : )

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

Congratulations on your first party...thanks so much for hosting!

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

That cake is gorgeous!!! Those rosettes are perfect! THanks for hosting! Happy to be at the first link party at Back 3 Seconds!

Unknown said...

That cake is absolutely beautiful!

Mary Smith said...

Congrats on your first link up!!! I'm so excited for you and your cake is awesome.

With A Blast said...

Awesome Cake! Thank you for hosting and congrats on your 1st party. Have a great day!
Linda
With A Blast

Unknown said...

Congratulations on hosting your first link party!! That cake is gorgeous and looks so delicious too!! Thanks for hosting!

Amber *SaltTree Creative* said...

That cake is lovely! Wishing your link party much success! I'll be back each week :) I'll add your party to my master list too. Have a great week!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Congratulations for the wonderful success your new linky party is! Thanks for being such a gracious hostess! Now off to visit other party animals!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yay! Welcome to party land. Thanks for hosting! I shared, of course. :)

Jenn Erickson said...

So happy to be here at one of the sweetest parties in Blogland! Your tres leches zebra cake look delicious!

Jenn

Leslie said...

Your cake looks amazing! I'll add your party to my list. Thanks for hosting!

SallysBakingAddiction said...

what a BEAUTIFUL cake!!!!! Thanks for hosting Stephanie and CONGRATS on your frist link party! I've already bookmarked quite a few of these!

Deb A said...

Congrats on your first party! Lovely looking cake! I've been following for awhile - hope you will hop over to see me sometime :-)

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe has been chosen to be on Today's Feature Post from Cast Party Wednesday! Thank You for sharing your recipe with us!
---Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain---
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=32384

Karyn said...

I came over here to award you with the Sunshine Award, am I am rewarded with a new Linky Party! Winning!!

I'll add your party you my linky page :) and come back next week to share more treats.

Also, I want to let you know that I am awarding you the Sunshine Award. I love your site! You have beautiful pictures of yummy food.

http://pintsizedbaker.blogspot.com/2012/08/sunshine-award-thank-you.html

Kimberly said...

I'm seriously drooling right now:) making this tomorrow! I'm your newest follower. Stop by sometime.

Kimberly @ mypinterestreality.com

April said...

Love the cake, love your blog, and I'm so happy to join your party!! I'm still new at this food blogging thing, but making new friends is the best part, isn't it!! Now I'm going to go thumb through all your recipes :)

~ April
Dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com

Deana said...

Thanks for the invite..I'll add you to my party list : )
Deana @ CountryMommaCooks

Hanunyah said...

Wow, that sure is a surprise cake. Congrats on your first party!!

Carole said...

Beautiful. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. And you have lots of nice links. Cheers

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

it's stunning. i still haven't had an opportunity to make a zebra cake, or decorate a cake with buttercream roses. I should do both at the same time, like you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite! :) I brought my favorite new spaghetti sauce, straight from the garden to your stock pot.
Hugs, Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

Anonymous said...

AND Kansas Cornbread Salad!!!!!! It's SOO yummy! :)

Unknown said...

what gorgeous colors!

Jenn said...

This is such a pretty cake!

LeroyLime said...

YUMMY!! Love those pretty flowers, I want to lick the icing RIGHT off of that cake! :)

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What a GORGEOUS cake and congrats on your party. I'm getting caught up so hope to have something to link up this week!

Jaime said...

Such a beautiful cake! & Congrats on your first party! :)

Thanks for linking up to Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

Michelle Day said...

This is beautiful and scrumptious looking! I'm sorry I missed your first link party, congrats! I'll definitely be back for the next one.

The Mandatory Mooch said...

Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see you again this week!! The party is live at http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursdays-3.html

Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

What a fun cake! I love tres leches!

Thanks so much for linking up to Financial Friday last week! I hope to see ya there tomorrow at 7! (times two!!)

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Gorgeous cake and it sounds super delicious! Looks like you had a great turnout for your first party, too!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful cake. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Post a Comment

I heart your comments! Let's chat ;)